The Department of Geography and Atmospheric Science at the University of Kansas will host the 2019 Annual Meeting of the Great Plains-Rocky Mountain Division of the American Association of Geographers on October 11-12, 2019 at the Oread Hotel, 1200 Oread Ave., adjacent to the University of Kansas campus in Lawrence, Kansas.
Over 200 active geographers – including faculty, practitioners, graduate students, and undergraduate students from throughout the Great Plains-Rocky Mountain region – are expected to participate in discussions about basic and applied research in the human, physical, and geospatial subfields of geography and related disciplines.
In addition to paper and poster sessions at the Oread Hotel, a number of special events are planned including:
- Opening reception Friday on the 9th Floor Terrace at the Oread Hotel
- GP-RM student social at a favored local establishment
- Welcome by KU Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Professor of Geography J. Christopher Brown
- Banquet, including keynote address by Dr. Amy Lobben, AAG VP-Elect and award presentations in the Hancock Ballroom at the Oread Hotel on Saturday evening
- Two field trips: exploring Kansas City, and a tour of Haskell Indian Nations University and the historic Wakarusa Wetlands
- Workshop: an introduction to Google Earth Engine
- Student paper and poster competitions, including GeoBowl
Registration: $135 for faculty/professionals, $40 for students, $20 for spouses. Banquet: $25/person. Field trips and workshops: varies ($0 to $20).
Learn more about Geography and Atmospheric Science at KU